Not unlike the flu, it seems the moment we get over the previous attack, Cyber-attacks reform in a stronger, more aggressive fashion.
With the ever-present and ongoing issue of Cyber Safety, it’s always important to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in online security, guarding ourselves against this ‘Invisible Invader’.
The latest publication of the Chamber of Commerce & Industry WA’s Business Pulse highlighted the following popular forms of Cyber-attacks:
- MALWARE – Malicious software that disguises itself as beneficial, with ulterior motives, such as providing remote access or accessing your personal information.
- BUSINESS EMAIL COMPROMISE – Targeting business emails that disclose financial information or wire transfer details to steal funds.
- RANSOMWARE ATTACK – Unfortunately, this is exactly what it sounds like. A form of malware that holds your device or system hostage until a ransom is paid to release the grip. Sounds far-fetched, but happens more frequently than we care to imagine!
- PHISHING EMAILS – The standard email ‘trick’ trying to convince you to click a malicious link or download a foreign attachment (usually disguised as something important)
- APT ATTACK – ‘Advanced Persistent Threats’ are intelligent enough to sneak under the radar and avoid detection, quietly extracting important information from your system.
- DDoS ATTACK – ‘Distributed Denial of Service’ attacks attempt to make online services unavailable by flooding it with overwhelming amounts of traffic from compromised devices.